Back to TOPSPURS home




A Month in the Illustrious History of Spurs


(Compiled by Logan Holmes)



Spurs 4 Manchester United 1 What a way to start a new year - live on television and convincingly defeating the League leaders and eventual Champions.  It was probably one of the best results during Gerry Francis’ managerial reign.  Teddy Sheringham scored the first and although United equalised, Sol Campbell scored before half-time and then two goals from Chris Armstrong sealed Spurs victory.  Both teams had injury problems but Spurs overcame them much better although United’s keeper Schmeichel was injured in the warm up and had to be taken off at half-time.

On this day in 1900 our first match in the 20th century was a 2-2 draw at Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough. Part of a two match mini tour of the north east, we faced Sunderland the following day



Spurs 1 Arsenal 0 As F.A.Cup holders, the defence of the trophy started with a home tie against North London rivals, Arsenal.   A crowd of 38,421 watched what was only the second F.A. Cup tie between the two clubs.  The match was settled by a Garth Crooks goal, which went under the body of our former hero, Pat Jennings.  That unusual mistake set Spurs on their way to retaining the trophy in a season that saw them striving for trophies in four competitions but eventually having to settle for a seventh F.A.Cup victory in a replay against Queen’s Park Rangers at Wembley.

On this day in 1909 the old Leeds City club made their only visit to White Hart Lane. Former Spurs chairman John Oliver was associated with the Yorkshire outfit. They disbanded in 1919 due to financial irregularities.



Bradford City 2 Spurs 2 At the beginning of the year F.A.Cup 3rd Round ties are the order of the day.  Spurs had a difficult match away at Third Division, Bradford City.  Spurs took a two nil lead through goals from Jimmy Greaves and Roger Morgan but Bradford pulled the two goals back to earn a 2 – 2 draw and a replay at White Hart Lane the following Wednesday.  Spurs won the replay 5 - 0 with goals from Greaves (2), Pearce (2) and Morgan. At the time no-one realised that they were witnessing the last Cup goals to be scored by Jimmy Greaves, Spurs greatest goalscorer.



Spurs 1 Arsenal 2 The 100th League match between the two clubs, saw Arsenal take an early lead and increase it before half-time.  In a season where manager, David Pleat, was building a team which played exciting football with five in midfield and Clive Allen as the lone striker doing all the damage, it was full back Mitchell Thomas who scored Spurs consolation goal at the end of the first half.  Spurs, who had climbed to fifth position after some poor results earlier in the season, were unable to score against the League leader’s tight defence who were on an undefeated run of eighteen games.  However, by the end of the season Spurs had climbed to third and their North London rivals slipped to fourth.  At least that would provide some consolation.



Blackpool 0 Spurs 1 This was a game made for a Cup shock.  Played in very stormy conditions, Spurs who were having an indifferent season needed to show determination and character.  This they did and managed to overcome the weather and Blackpool with a goal from Paul Stewart who began his career at Blackpool.  Spurs, inspired by Paul Gascoigne, then set off on an amazing series of results, which took them to Wembley and success against Nottingham Forest.  This was achieved against a background of financial problems threatening the Club’s very existence and leading to the eventual take-over by Alan Sugar and manager Terry Venables.



Birmingham City 3 Spurs 3 Another difficult tie for the Cup holders, on a pitch that had been covered in snow for much of the previous week, saw Spurs take a three goal lead by the 32nd minute.  However Birmingham fought their way back into the game by scoring a minute later and then equalized with two second half goals.  The ‘Double’ winning team of the previous season had been strengthened by the signing of Jimmy Greaves who scored the first and third goals, the second a header, with Cliff Jones scoring the second.  Spurs won the replay 4 – 2, with goals from Medwin(2),Greaves and Allen.



Fulham 0 Spurs 0 A scoreless draw in a third Round cup tie may seem rather dull but this was a hard fought game where Spurs can thank their defender Graham Roberts for helping them to hold out for a replay.  Goalkeeper Ray Clemence was seriously injured and in a situation that you rarely see nowadays, Roberts took over in goal and made some important saves.  Having secured the replay, he then scored one of Spurs two goals in that game.



Spurs 6 Bristol Rovers 2 In this 1st Round tie, Spurs had a comfortable victory, having taken an early lead through Jimmy Seed and added to it with a Tommy Clay penalty. Goals from Bert Smith and Fanny Walden gave them a 4 – 0 lead by half-time.  Rovers scored early in the second half, before Jimmy Cantrell scored and then after Rovers second, Bert Bliss added a late sixth.  These names were to become part of the illustrious history of Spurs as they went on to win the F.A.Cup for the second time in the club’s history.



Manchester United 0 Spurs 1 Drawn at home against United in the Third Round, Spurs progressed the hard way.  Having drawn 1 – 1 in the first game with an Ardiles goal, the replay was scoreless, in spite of Glenn Hoddle having to take over in goal for the injured Aleksic.  Hoddle played confidently and as extra time was drawing to a close, Ossie Ardiles managed to summon a last ounce of energy to score the winner.  Spurs, under Keith Burkinshaw, were now beginning to re-establish themselves in the 1st Division.

2007 – TOPSPURS legend Dennis (IrishDen) McGarry – died in Dublin aged 38



Spurs 2 Derby County 1 From late November to mid February, Spurs were to play eleven League games but would only record two victories, this was the second of them.  The poor form was to have repercussions that were not apparent at the time of this match, which saw Spurs win with goals from Greaves and Morgan.  However, as results continued to disappoint, Bill Nicholson decided to drop some of the star names.  Some managed to win back their place in the team but Jimmy Greaves’ career at Spurs came to a sudden end and so this was the last League goal that he scored for the club.



Newcastle United 2 Spurs 5 This was a disappointing season.  Poor early results brought about the resignation of Bill Nicholson.  He was replaced by Terry Neill who signed some new players but the results continued to be poor and Spurs were involved in a relegation fight throughout the season. So this result was totally unexpected and was inspired by a hat-trick from Alfie Conn, the last player signed by Bill Nicholson.  The other goals came from Knowles and Duncan. At the end of the season, Spurs avoided relegation thanks to a last match victory, but they had much to thank Newcastle for – four points from two wins and 8 goals scored with 2 conceded.



Spurs 9 Tranmere Rovers 1 Tranmere were a mid-table team in the Third Division North and they held Spurs to a 1 – 1 draw at home. The Replay was a different matter as Spurs won through goals from McClellan (3), Duquemin (2), Hollis (2), Baily (2).  The successful team of the early 1950s had not made any impact in the F.A. Cup and many thought that this could be their year but after nine games, including four replays, scoring 21 goals with nine against, they failed in their fifth semi – final, against Blackpool by 2 – 1 when a late mistake by Ramsay, led to the winner.



Spurs 0 Worksop Town 0 What an embarrassment this First Round tie was.  At home to a team from the Midland League, Spurs - Cup winners in 1921 and Semi – finalists in the Cup and runners up in the League in 1922 and with six members of the Cup winning team still playing - failed to score and overcome determined opposition. Wintry weather conditions made the pitch difficult to play on but the non – League team showed determination and bravery to earn their place in Cup history.



Notts County 3 Spurs 3 Spurs season in the Second Division was going well and this game came in the middle of an unbeaten run of nineteen League games.  However, eleven games were drawn and this was making the promotion that should have been a certainty a little more difficult.  They were also were involved in a number of high-scoring matches and against County, John Pratt scored twice and Colin Lee got the other goal. This gave Spurs another point, which would ensure their immediate return to the First Division.



Spurs 9 Worksop Town 0 The Worksop ground was thought unsuitable for the replay and Spurs readily agreed to play it at White Hart Lane.  So, on the Monday after the first game, Worksop sent out the same eleven players to face Spurs.  Relieved at having an opportunity to put things right, Spurs won very easily.  Playing conditions had improved and Spurs were six up by half-time. Their goals were scored by Alec Lindsay (4), ‘Tich’ Handley (3), Jimmy Seed and Jimmy Dimmock.



Spurs 0 Burnley 3 The end of the road for the Cup winning team. After two seasons undefeated in fourteen F.A.Cup games, Spurs lost comprehensively to Burnley who finally gained revenge for defeats in the Semi-final in 1961 and the Final the following year.  Only Blanchflower and Medwin, through injury, were missing from the previous seasons’ successful teams.



Sheffield Wednesday 1 Spurs 2 Martin Chivers became the most expensive player ever, when signed from Southampton for £125,000. He made his debut in this game at a ground where Spurs had not won since 1937, and justified his price when four minutes from time he powered through the Wednesday defence to flight a looping shot into the net.  Spurs had gone a goal down in the 42nd minute but a well worked goal from Greaves right on half-time brought the scores level.  



Spurs 5 Torquay United 1 Due to wintry weather conditions, the original replay had to be postponed but Spurs managed to win comfortably against the Division 4 side that put up a gallant fight especially in the first half. A hat-trick from Greaves and goals from Gilzean and Robertson ensured Spurs first Cup win since they won the trophy in 1962.  In the first tie, Spurs had come from a goal down to lead 3 – 1 with seven minutes remaining but Torquay scored twice in two minutes for a grandstand finish in the last five minutes that Spurs managed to survive – JUST!



Spurs 1 Peterborough United 1 Having survived the first game by scoring a late equalizer from Jason Dozzell, this Cup replay went to extra time and then a penalty shoot out, the first at White Hart Lane since the UEFA Cup Final win in 1984.  Spurs had taken an early lead through Nicky Barmby but once Peterborough equalized, the game remained deadlocked.   Ian Walker became the hero when he saved the fourth ‘Posh’ penalty, while Spurs scored all five from Caskey, Kerslake, Anderton, Barmby and Sedgley, to go through to the next round 5 – 4 on penalties.



Spurs 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Having won promotion in great style the previous season, the Spurs ‘Push and Run’ team got off to a disappointing start to their first season back in the First Division.  However, they gradually found their way and by December were top of the division. After going out of the Cup ,they lost at Manchester United, but this game saw them back in their true style, as 66,796 spectators packed White Hart Lane to see goals from Walters and McClellan give them victory over Wolves. The team went on to win the First Division championship for the first time in the Club’s history.



Newcastle United 3 Spurs 1 Spurs narrowly avoided relegation the previous season but showed improved form and a good run in the League Cup saw them facing Newcastle in the Semi-Final. Having won the first led 1 - 0, thanks to a goal from John Pratt and a superb performance from Pat Jennings, Spurs were disappointed to miss out on an opportunity to appear in another Wembley Final.  Don McAllister scored the goal in the second game but it was not enough to overcome Newcastle who won 3 – 2 on aggregate.  



Spurs 7 Sheffield Wednesday 2 Spurs were a goal up after one minute when Gavin scored. Wednesday equalized but Spurs went further ahead through goals from Robb, Baily and Gavin. In the second half further goals from Brooks, Duquemin and another from Brooks sealed Spurs victory although Wednesday scored a second.  Spurs, inspired by Danny Blanchflower, made light of the muddy conditions to put on a slick goalscoring performance against a struggling Wednesday side.



Spurs 5 Chelsea 1 A goal down from the first leg of this Semi-Final clash, Spurs set about overcoming Chelsea with a style and determination, often missing from Spurs teams. An early goal, within two minutes, from Iversen set Spurs on their way. Sherwood scored before half-time and in the second half, further goals from Sheringham, Davies and substitute, Rebrov, ensured Spurs were in the Worthington Cup Final, before Chelsea’s late consolation goal.  This was Spurs best performance of the season and the best result of Glenn Hoddle’s time as manager.  What a way to overcome the Chelsea jinx who hadn’t lost at White Hart Lane since 1987.  Unfortunately, the euphoria of this result was not carried forward to the Final.



Spurs 2 Hull City 0 The 100th F.A. Cup competition saw Spurs with a home tie in the Fourth Round against Third Division strugglers, Hull City.  Spurs were in a period of impressive form, going into this game, and with Archibald and Crooks taking the chances created by a midfield including Hoddle, Ardiles and Galvin, the result should have been a formality.  However, Hull gave Spurs a scare and the deadlock was broken when substitute Garry Brooke, who replaced Ardiles, scored with seven minutes remaining.  Brooke then forced another save from the Hull keeper and set up Steve Archibald’s last minute goal. Relief for Spurs as they progressed to the next round.  



Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 The transition season as Bill Nicholson started to replace members of the ‘Double’ winning team.  Injury had taken Blanchflower, Mackay and Medwin from the team and reserves were getting their opportunity. For this game, Derek Possee replaced the injured Cliff Jones on the right wing for his only game of the season and scored on his debut.  The other goals came from Greaves and Dyson.  Possee who had come through the Junior teams at Spurs, made a number of appearances in subsequent seasons before being transferred to Millwall in 1967 for £25,000.



Spurs 4 Oxford United 2 Spurs progress in the Cup continued with this 4th Round victory thanks to an outstanding performance from Paul Gascoigne.  The game marked a resurgence in Gascoigne’s form as he displayed all his skills and it continued throughout the Cup run, in spite of injury problems as he played on while in need of a hernia operation. He scored two goals against Oxford and created the other two, which were scored by Gary Lineker and Gary Mabbutt.  



Manchester United 2 Spurs 2 A difficult 3rd Round tie at Old Trafford saw Spurs earn a replay in a thrilling action-packed game through a last minute equalizer from Martin Chivers. Mike England returned, having been out for two months with injury but Jimmy Greaves was left out and Phil Beal played as an extra defender. Chivers scored for Spurs after four minutes but United equalized within two minutes.  Half way through the second half, United took a lead, which they looked like holding until Chivers last minute strike.



Spurs 5 Crewe Alexandra 1 Crewe must have arrived at White Hart Lane for the 4th Round game, with worries of a repeat of the previous season’s record defeat on their minds. Spurs won easily and only the performance of the Crewe goalkeeper, Williamson, kept the score down.  Spurs took the lead in the fourth minute through Dyson, went further ahead with a goal from Smith before Crewe scored in a breakaway. Mackay scored another before half-time and then Jones and Allen completed the goal scoring in the second half.



Spurs 0 Bradford City 0 A scoreless draw in Spurs second season in the Football League and their first in the First Division would appear to have little significance in the history of Spurs but its position of eminence is due to the make up of the team on that particular Saturday.  For the only time in Spurs history, three brothers appeared in the same team.  Bobby Steel and Danny Steel had been almost ever present in the Spurs team during the first two seasons in the League and for this game their brother, Alex, made his one and only League appearance at right half.  Danny played at centre half while Bobby played at inside forward.



Crewe Alexandra 2 Spurs 2 This 4th Round F.A.Cup game was an extremely difficult match for Spurs. The result was no ‘fluke.’ They were glad to get the replay at White Hart Lane and can thank goalkeeper Bill Brown who made an excellent save to ensure they achieved the rather fortunate draw.  Spurs goals were scored by Les Allen and Cliff Jones.  The team which were to finish third in the First Division that season were made to struggle and the team contained ten of the players who were to write their names in history in the following season as part of the great ‘Double’ winning side.



Spurs 1 Manchester United 0 This replay was a very tight and combative affair.  Meeting four days after the original match, some old scores had to be settled.  Jimmy Greaves was re-instated to the Spurs team but the match remained scoreless after ninety minutes .In the second half Joe Kinnear and Brian Kidd were sent off for a tussle in the Spurs penalty area. In extra time the match was settled by a disputed goal from winger, Jimmy Robertson – United players felt that Mike England had impeded their goalkeeper, Alex Stepney. As so often happens in these situations, the two teams met again at White Hart Lane on the following Saturday in the League. United won on that occasion.



Acknowledge the work of Graham Betts in his book ‘Spurs Day – to – Day Life at White Hart Lane