Back to TOPSPURS home



A Month in the Illustrious History of Spurs


(Compiled by Logan Holmes)



Chelsea 1 Spurs 1 With a poor recent record against Chelsea, this result meant that Spurs had gained their first point at Stamford Bridge since 1995 and were undefeated by Chelsea in season 2002 - 03, having had the better of a scoreless draw the previous November.  Spurs started brightly and took the lead through Teddy Sheringham.  Chelsea’s equaliser came just before half-time from a free kick and although Chelsea put on extra forwards the Spurs defence stood firm for a well deserved point.



Spurs 5 West Ham United 0 This League Cup Replay, following a 1-1 draw the previous week, saw Spurs produce a top class performance with Ardiles and Hoddle in control, producing some very attractive football.  After six minutes Ardiles found Claesen who scored and from then on, Spurs dominated the game but it was not until the 71st minute that they increased their lead with a Hoddle shot from 20 yards. In the last ten minutes Clive Allen came into his own, completing a hat-trick including a penalty after a foul on his cousin, Paul Allen.  This is a game often remembered by those present and set up a two-leg semi-final clash with North London neighbours, Arsenal.




Spurs 13 Crewe Alexandra 2 Having survived a difficult game the previous Saturday, this F.A.Cup 4th Round Replay was over, long before half-time, providing Spurs with their biggest ever win.  Spurs dominated the game from the beginning and were a goal ahead after two minutes through Smith.  Two more followed from Allen and Smith before Crewe scored but then Tommy Harmer scored Spurs fourth after 20 minutes.  Amazingly, Spurs led 10-1 by half-time and added another three in the second half.  Les Allen enjoyed the game scoring five times, Bobby Smith scored four and Cliff Jones completed a hat-trick, including a penalty. This was an outstanding performance and will probably never be equalled. However, Spurs were defeated by Blackburn, the eventual Cup winners in the next round.



Spurs 2 Leicester City 3 The ‘Double’ winning season included many records and this game marked the first home defeat suffered by the team.  Spurs had won all but two of those thirteen League games but this game proved one too many. Leicester took the lead after thirty minutes.  Allen equalised within five minutes but City scored again three minutes later.  Immediately after half time, Spurs were level through a Blanchflower penalty but when Leicester regained the lead, Spurs were unable to reply.  Although suffering their second defeat in three games, Spurs were still eight points ahead of Wolves with Sheffield Wednesday third.



Spurs 0 Everton 0 This Screen Sport Super Cup Semi-Final clash attracted an attendance of 7,548. The competition had been organised for the European qualifiers following the ban on English clubs in Europe.  Pointless matches, which did not attract any interest from spectators, saw Spurs progress to this stage after two victories over Southampton and two defeats to Liverpool. Having drawn this first leg Spurs lost the second leg by three goals to one after extra time. The only point worthy of note from the competition was the re-appearance of Pat Jennings in a Spurs shirt for the previous game against Liverpool.



Spurs 6 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 This game marked the official opening of the new West Stand with Sir Stanley Rous, the former President of FIFA, performing the ceremony.  Spurs celebrated in style as they over ran a poor Wolves team which was to be relegated at the end of the season.  Ricky Villa rose to the occasion again and scored a hat-trick. Glenn Hoddle scored the first from a penalty and then Villa added the second, before Wolves scored on half-time.  In the second half Villa scored two more while Garth Crooks and Mark Falco completed the scoring.



Spurs 3 Derby County 5 (aet) For some dates it is difficult even with over 100 years of history to find a match of note to record but for this date we are spoiled for choice. There were the four goals in 4 minutes 44 seconds against Southampton in 1993 or the 2001Cup fight back at Charlton as well as this 4th Round Replay.  With less than ten minutes to go, Spurs were comfortably looking forward to the 5th Round.  They were 3-1 ahead after goals from Martin Chivers, Alan Gilzean and a penalty from Mike England when Derby’s lanky centre forward, Roger Davies, took over completing a hat-trick in extra time to leave Spurs’ Cup dreams over for another year.



Arsenal 0 Spurs 1 Spurs went into this game with a record of only two defeats in their previous 12 games, the last one having been at home to Arsenal in early January. Spurs had progressed in both Cup competitions and in this Littlewoods Cup Semi-Final 1st leg game both teams started cautiously. Once Clive Allen had scored his 34th goal of the season towards the end of the first half, Spurs dominated the match and could have put the tie beyond doubt.  Spurs class and performance were summed up in a quote from the Independent newspaper; ‘No attacking side can be more difficult to deal with than Spurs at the moment.’  



Spurs 1 Preston North End 1 This was the first ever F.A.Cup tie at White Hart Lane and had been delayed following the death of Queen Victoria.  Spurs, Southern League Champions, were drawn in the 1st Round against the team who had defeated them at the same stage the previous year. Preston were to be relegated from the 1st Division at the end of the season but they went ahead within half an hour and looked set to progress until Spurs scored with nine minutes remaining.  The goal was scored by Sandy Brown from a cross by Jack Kirwan, finally beating the Preston goalkeeper who had had an outstanding game. Few gave Spurs much hope of producing a result from the replay.



Manchester City 0 Spurs 1 This game marked the fifth consecutive Premiership match in which Spurs kept a clean sheet.  The goal scored by Rebrov in the 89th minute was the first in the same period and brought Spurs their first away win of the season.  Neil Sullivan and Ian Walker shared the goalkeeping spotlight for these matches with Walker appearing twice due to Sullivan’s suspension having been sent off in the first game of the New Year.  While the team was sound defensively the overall performances left much to be desired.  



Spurs 4 Fulham 2.  An entertaining game which saw Spurs take an early lead through Alan Gilzean.  Fulham equalised, only for Jimmy Greaves to restore Spurs lead. Before half time Fulham scored their second.  Also at the end of the first half, an incident involving Terry Venables and Callaghan of Fulham resulted in both players being sent off.  Two second half goals from Cliff Jones gave Spurs victory and completed their third ‘double’ of the season.  Venables claimed that it was a minor incident that got blown out of all proportion because other players started interfering.



Spurs 4 Burnley 3 An amazing 4th Round F.A.Cup match saw Spurs come through a very difficult tie.  They were two down early on and were trailing 2-3 with only minutes to go but Spurs survived thanks to a great performance from Alan Gilzean who scored a brilliant hat-trick and a goal from Frank Saul.  Spurs progress in the Cup was halted at Preston in the next Round, going down by two goals to one.



Preston North End 2 Spurs 4 Having failed to win at White Hart Lane; Spurs were given little chance of surviving this F.A.Cup 1st Round Replay.  However, Spurs played with greater urgency, going ahead within six minutes from a goal by John Cameron, their Secretary/Manager. Two further goals from Sandy Brown gave Spurs a comfortable half-time lead. Preston scored in the second half but Brown completed his hat-trick and although scoring again, Preston were well beaten. The first stage of a memorable and historic Cup campaign had been successfully completed by the non-League team.



Halifax Town 0 Spurs 3 A difficult 5th Round F.A.Cup tie was anticipated as Halifax, in the old 3rd Division (North), had overcome two 1st Division sides, Cardiff and Stoke, in the previous rounds.  The match was in doubt due to overnight snow but the pitch was cleared sufficiently for it to proceed although the pitch had to be marked out in blue dye.  The first half was very close and remained goalless but after half time Spurs started to take control.  Within ten minutes Spurs scored through Bennett and although the home team rallied, Spurs were encouraged and went further ahead when Duquemin scored.  Duquemin had a goal disallowed and then two minutes later Bennett scored his second to give Spurs a convincing victory in difficult conditions.



Queens Park Rangers 1 Spurs 1 Earlier in the month Spurs had signed Roger Morgan, a left winger from Q.P.R. for £110,000, equalling the highest cash transfer fee between English clubs. Roger and his identical twin, Ian, had helped Q.P.R. gain promotion to the 1st Division and had played all their football together. At the end of January Spurs had defeated Q.P.R. at White Hart Lane in a game re-arranged from November because of heavy rain.  After signing, Roger Morgan had been unable to play in Spurs next match, as he was cup-tied so his debut was at Loftus Road against his former club and facing his twin brother.  The match was close and finished all square with Spurs goal being scored by Jimmy Greaves, his 30th of the season.



Wimbledon 0 Spurs 1 There have been few really successful evenings for Spurs supporters to remember in the last two decades but this is one of them.  A single goal from Steffan Iversen in the Worthington Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg match was sufficient to secure a place in the Final at Wembley. Spurs and Wimbledon had played a series of five League and Cup games through January and February and all had been very close. Having drawn 0-0 in the 1st Leg, this was the really important one with a place in the Final at stake. Spurs showed great resolve and the second half goal was well deserved.  The players held on through a frantic final few minutes and then the fans swarmed onto the pitch to join in the celebrations.



West Bromwich 2 Spurs 4 In their efforts to retain the F.A.Cup the 5th Round draw required Spurs to travel to the Midlands to face West Brom.  A difficult match was expected but Spurs started well and Bobby Smith scored after 8 minutes. The game was fast and exciting with both goalkeepers busy and the second goal didn’t come until a minute before half-time with Smith scoring again.  Three minutes into the second half W.B.A. scored but in the 75th minute Jimmy Greaves restored the two goal advantage.  This was short lived as four minutes later West Brom scored again. In a tense finale, Greaves scored his second a minute from time.



Norwich City 1 Spurs 0 Spurs must have expected to progress to the next Round when drawn at home to 3rd Division Norwich who were the season’s giant killers.  Norwich had defeated Manchester United and Cardiff but no one expected them to win at Tottenham.  They didn’t although they nearly did!  Having taken the lead in the second half Spurs equalised through Cliff Jones with 40 seconds remaining. In the replay Spurs started brightly but a fanatical home crowd urged on Norwich who scored the only goal in the 63rd minute for a deserved victory. Norwich progressed to the semi-final that year.



Everton 2 Spurs 0 All good things must come to an end and so it proved in the 5th Round match at Goodison Park.  After over two seasons undefeated in the F.A.Cup Spurs went out rather tamely to Everton.  In winning the Cup for the two previous seasons Spurs had played 18 games, winning 14 and being taken to 4 Replays including both Finals against Manchester City and Q.P.R.  An under strength team, lacking some of their top players through inevitable injury, even then, gave a rather lack-lustre performance to surrender their hold of the Cup they had won so magnificently in the previous two seasons.



Spurs 4 Leeds United 0 This was to be Terry Venables last season in charge of Spurs.  He was putting together a promising team of experienced and younger players which was playing exciting, entertaining football as they won six consecutive League and Cup games. Teddy Sheringham who had been signed at the beginning of the season scored in the 9th minute and added his second before half-time.  Neil Ruddock then added a third and Sheringham completed his first hat-trick for the Club with a penalty to give Spurs their best League win of the season, revenge for a five goal defeat at Elland Road in August. Team work and the enthusiasm and skill of Nicky Barmby and Darren Anderton clearly demonstrated the entertaining style that had the fans believing that the good times were about to return to White Hart Lane.



Wrexham 2 Spurs 3 Spurs were finding it difficult to re-establish themselves in the 1st Division having won promotion the previous year.  Progress in the Cup was also being achieved the hard way, as they had needed a replay to overcome non-League, Altrincham in the previous Round.  Again, drawn at home in the 4th Round, Wrexham proved equally as difficult, earning a deserved 3-3 draw at White Hart Lane. The replay went to extra time and Spurs can be grateful to an unlikely hero in Chris Jones who scored a hat-trick to secure victory.  This was Spurs second hat-trick in consecutive replays.





Spurs 4 Everton 3 The match in Liverpool had seen Spurs score through Jimmy McCormick with five minutes remaining, only for Everton, who were in the 1st Division, to equalise in the last minute.  The 5th Round Replay, on the following Monday, surpassed that for excitement as Spurs looked to be going out of the Cup until a dramatic comeback.  The pitch had been flooded and conditions were poor but Everton took control and went into a two goal lead.  Spurs scored through Johnny Morrison in the 27th minute but in the second half after a Morrison ‘goal’ was disallowed, Everton extended their lead. With seven minutes remaining, Everton were awarded a penalty but the referee changed his decision as Everton had taken a throw-in incorrectly. A minute later Morrison scored Spurs second, then with two minutes remaining Joe Meek equalised with a great solo goal and in the last minute Morrison scored the winner.  A Cup Classic witnessed by 46,972 spectators.



Spurs 2 Bury 1 Spurs were drawn against the Cup holders and as a non-League team were not expected to progress to the next Round.  The match started badly for them conceding a goal in the second minute.  However, in spite of Bury’s domination, they gradually managed to get themselves back into the game thanks to a fine display from goalkeeper Clawley and a Sandy Brown equaliser in the 30th minute, against the run of play. In the second half Spurs started to take more control and went ahead with a second goal from Brown, his sixth in the competition.  Bury fought back but Spurs had made it into the next round.



Spurs 1 Blackburn Rovers 2 [Worthington Cup Final at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff] Spurs performance was very disappointing, especially after the excellent display in the semi-final.  Blackburn players were more up for the game, the whole Spurs team performing below par.  Blackburn took the lead after 24 minutes, only for Christian Ziege to equalize nine minutes later.  In the second half Spurs missed opportunities, especially Les Ferdinand, and were denied by the Blackburn goalkeeper but a mistake by Ledley King let in Blackburn for the winner after 68 minutes.  Spurs tried but weren’t going to score and even appeals for a late penalty were turned down. It was a long way back from Cardiff for the disappointed fans.



Aston Villa 0 Spurs 1 In the first match at White Hart Lane, five days earlier, there was a very large crowd with additional seating around the ground. At half-time a large number of spectators invaded the pitch and being unable to clear them, the referee abandoned the match with Villa one goal ahead.  Spurs were fined £350 and ordered to replay the game at Villa Park.  Spurs went on to win the tie through a goal scored by ‘Bristol’ Jones. The reason for the invasion is unclear but Spurs benefited from it.



Spurs 4 Dukla Prague 1 A goal down from the first leg, Spurs returned to European Cup football at White Hart Lane determined to proceed to the next round.  The pitch was covered with snow but Spurs attacking flair over-powered the Czechs.  The match was virtually decided after fifteen minutes as Bobby Smith and Dave Mackay had scored to wipe out the first leg deficit. At the start of the second half a mistake by the Spurs defence allowed the visitors to score and level on aggregate, but Smith and Mackay continued their domination with two goals in a minute, one each, to see Spurs into the semi-finals.      



Aston Villa 0 Spurs 2 [League Cup Final at Wembley] Spurs were playing in their first League Cup Final against 3rd Division Villa, not as easy a task as could have been expected.  Villa made it difficult for Spurs but they eventually came through thanks to two excellent goals late in the second half. With twelve minutes remaining, Martin Chivers scored against the run of play and then three minutes later added a second.  Bill Nicholson had produced another winning team that was about to uphold the Spurs tradition of Cup success in the coming years at home and in Europe.

Jennings; Kinnear, Knowles; Mullery (Capt), Collins, Beal: Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Neighbour. Sub: Pearce.



Nottingham Forest 2 Spurs 2 Nine days earlier this F.A.Cup 5th Round tie was abandoned after 15 minutes because of snow. At the second attempt, Forest took an early fourth minute lead but Spurs managed to equalise through Chris Armstrong on eight minutes. Armstrong’s second goal after 28 minutes put Spurs ahead before succumbing to a second superbly struck free-kick in the 72nd minute to take the tie to a replay at White Hart Lane on the Saturday of the 6th Round matches.



Birmingham City 1 Spurs 2 This is the last occasion that Spurs played on this unusual date. A First Division game at St. Andrews saw Spurs take the two points through goals from Jones and a Greaves’ penalty.  This was a transitional period after the ‘Double’ and Nicholson’s next successful team.  Danny Blanchflower was about to retire through injury, Dave Mackay was injured and Bill Brown and Bobby Smith were out of favour.  The team contained some unfamiliar faces, including a centre-half, Laurie Brown, signed from Arsenal, playing at centre-forward.  Nicholson was active in the transfer market and a number of new players would soon be arriving at White Hart Lane, the nucleus of the new team - Alan Mullery, Jimmy Robertson, Pat Jennings and Cyril Knowles would all arrive before the start of the next season.



Acknowledge the work of Graham Betts in his book ‘Spurs Day – to – Day Life at White Hart Lane